Question on semanage fcontext -a

ttaylor ttaylor at mitre.org
Fri Mar 14 23:11:42 UTC 2008

Does anything special have to be done to cause SELinux to start using newly
added local filecontexts?  What I'm finding is that if I use semanage
fcontext -a to add a local filecontext definition, it is not used by
restorecon unless I specify the "-F" option.  Without the "-F" option,
restorecon -vv <file_path> gives the following message:

/sbin/restorecon: <file_path> not reset customized by admin to
<current_context>

but restorecon -vv -F <file_path> gives this:

/sbin/restorecon reset <file_path> context <current_context>-><new_context>

I've also tried using /usr/sbin/semodule --build to try rebuilding (and
reloading) the current policy, but that
didn't change the behavior I'm seeing.

- Tim