aduitd failing to start

Pad Hosmane phosmane at ntis.gov
Thu Mar 20 19:18:58 UTC 2008

> Can I know why email option is not working?

The email option should work assuming that SE Linux policy allows it. I
just checked the source code. If the email address has a '@' symbol,
auditd calls gethostbyname to make sure that you don't have a typo in
the email address and it can't send an email when it needs to. Since SE
Linux policy fails that, it rejects that address and then in turn fails
the startup to let you know that you  have something wrong in the
configuration.

There's possibly a workaround where you use a local alias that
sendmail/postfix resolves into your real email address. This way you do
not need an email address with a '@' in it. This should be temporary
until policy is fixed.

Also, when it does come time for auditd to send its first email, we
still need a transition from auditd to a mta domain. Auditd calls
/usr/lib/sendmail if that matters to anyone.

-Steve

Hi Steve,
   Thanks a lot for all the help. I truly appreciate your help and all
others who helped me to resolve the issue.

Thanks.