Odd problem with dovecot

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri May 2 18:50:17 UTC 2008

I'm trying to set up dovecot for IMAP.  I'm using an external auth
program and a static userdb setting to define the home directories (all
owned by the same UID/GID).  I set the whole directory tree to
mail_spool_t (thinking I'd avoid any SELinux access issues that way).

What is odd is that it fails when SELinux is in enforcing mode, but not
in permissive, BUT I don't get any errors when it fails (e.g. no
"denied" messages in the kernel or audit logs).

I've straced the daemon, and it fails at a chdir().  I know the
permissions are okay (it works when the system is in permissive mode),
so I figured it has to be related to SELinux, but I can't figure out
how.

Suggestions?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>