giving ftp access to specif files and directories

Clarkson, Mike R (US SSA) mike.clarkson at baesystems.com
Tue Sep 23 20:58:22 UTC 2008

OK, I'll get more specific.

Let's say I've got some_program that I've created a policy module for so
that it runs in the some_program_t domain. Suppose some_program uses
files for various purposes and the module has labeled them, such that
all the files under the /local/some_dir directory are labeled
some_file_t. Further suppose that some_program uses ftp to transfer one
or more of the files labeled some_file_t, and that the policy writer
does not want to label these files public_content_t. The policy writer
can do something like this:

require {type ftpd_t;}
allow ftpd_t some_file_t:file <necessary permissions here>;

Rules giving ftpt_t access to other objects belong in the ftp module,
but the policy writer really doesn't want to modify the ftp module for
obvious reasons. This is where it would be nice to have interfaces in
the ftp module that allowed policy writers to give the ftpd_t domain
access to files and directories of specific types. There could either be
a series of interfaces giving different permissions to choose from or it
could be handled by a generic interface such as this:

## <summary>
## Give the ftpd_t access to specified file type.
## </summary>
## <desc>
## <param name="file_type">
## File type to which ftpd_t needs access
## </param
## <param name="object type">
## Type of object (i.e. file or dir)
## </param>
## <param name="permission">
## Permission needed by ftpd_t(i.e. read, write, etc.)
## </param>
interface(`give_ftp_access',`
  gen_require(`
    type ftpd_t;