SELinux detects problem with proprietary binary fglrx driver; however, AMD/ATI will not help

James Morris jmorris at namei.org
Thu Sep 25 14:31:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Eric Paris wrote:

> Stephen James, what do the two of you think about something like this?
> Maybe a WARN_ONCE() ?

There are several issues here:

- Does this actually solve the problem for the user?  What happens when
the driver gets an -EPERM  there?

- Should we be littering the kernel code with workarounds for bugs in
proprietary drivers?

- Should we be encouraging vendors to not support Linux users, especially
when other vendors are offering support (who we would then also be
discouraging).

- Francis asked for a much-secure or safer workaround to the issue.
Given that the driver is messing with kernel security, is also broken in
its use of a security API, and not maintained, I'm certainly not going to
recommend its continued use in this context.

- James
--
James Morris
<jmorris at namei.org>