MCS Levels and Ranges

Brian Ginn BGinn at symark.com
Tue Apr 14 23:01:08 UTC 2009

How should I interpret the following?
The MCS Level and Range are confusing me.
Or perhaps the difference between user and login is confusing me.

'semanage login -l' shows user_u has Range s0
'semanage user -l'  shows user_u has Level s0 and Range SystemLow-SystemHigh

[root at rhel5 ~]# semanage login -l

Login Name                SELinux User              MLS/MCS Range

__default__               user_u                    s0
root                      root                      SystemLow-SystemHigh
[root at rhel5 ~]# semanage user -l

                Labeling   MLS/       MLS/
SELinux User    Prefix     MCS Level  MCS Range                      SELinux Roles

root            user       s0         SystemLow-SystemHigh           system_r sysadm_r user_r
system_u        user       s0         SystemLow-SystemHigh           system_r
user_u          user       s0         SystemLow-SystemHigh           system_r sysadm_r user_r
[root at rhel5 ~]#