No Read Up No Write Down

chanson at TrustedCS.com chanson at TrustedCS.com
Thu Apr 23 14:22:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

The MLS policy is defined via the MLS contraints file
(http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/browser/trunk/policy/mls).
The default MLS policy in SELinux a modified Bell-LaPadula that enforces
"no read up, write equal".

The process clearance label isn't going to really come up into play for
these access decisions, the effective SL of process is the key factor
being utilized, as known as "l1" in the mls constraint language.

The type of the process of the process is very important when analyzing
the results. There are certain types, such as sysadm_t, which have mls
privileges, such as mlsfileread
(http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/browser/trunk/policy/modules/s
ystem/userdomain.if#L1214).

All of this impacts the ability to read and write files on the system.

A couple fo slidesets on the MLS implementation are available below....
http://selinux-symposium.org/2005/presentations/session3/3-3-hanson.pdf
http://selinux-symposium.org/2006/slides/08-mls.pdf

-Chad