xguest: firefox - execmem

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 09:11:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:22:26AM +0200, Christoph A. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to try the xguest user, but firefox always crashed on startup.
>
> This AVC appears many times in the logs:
>
> type=AVC msg=audit(1250580934.287:24730): avc: denied { execmem } for
> pid=4845 comm="firefox" scontext=xguest_u:xguest_r:mozilla_t:s0
> tcontext=xguest_u:xguest_r:mozilla_t:s0 tclass=process

I have a feeling that this is due to a plugin that i not run in the nsplugin_t domain, but i might be wrong.
Can you confirm or deny that?

Afaik mozilla does not require { execmem }, but many of those crappy plugins do ( for example flash-plugin ).
I certain configurations those plugins do not get run in the designated nsplugin_t domain.

In that case firefox runs them.

I am not sure whether mozilla_t domain transitions to nsplugin_t at all.

In practice i believe it does not matter all that much what needs it. You can allow or (silently) deny it.
You can use audit2allow to create an add-on to the mozilla_t domain.

Pipe the particular AVC denial into audit2allow -M mymozilla; semodule -i mymozilla.pp