Virtual http hosting and selinux

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Fri Dec 4 14:45:39 UTC 2009

"Dominick Grift wrote:"

> --===============0256136332==
>

> --Fig2xvG2VGoz8o/s
>
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 08:35:56PM -0800, David Highley wrote:
> > A common virtual web hosting set up would be a web root directory
> > location with the following sub directories:
> > ftp
> > logs
> > pages
> > pages/cgi-bin
> >=20
> > Under ftp you would have all that is needed for a chroot ftp sandbox.
> > Since each virtual host would be a different user and or company how
> > does one change sebool httpd_unified to off and get it all to work with
> > selinux?
>
> Well PHP needs httpd_unified but if you use CGI like perl or c or bash or w=
> hatever then basically you would set httpd_enable_cgi and httpd_builtin_scr=
> ipting booleans. Then label the locations with a proper type.

I'm not sure the statement that PHP needs httpd_unified on is correct in
Fedora 12. I just finished doing some testing of Mythtv with this
setting turned off. I tested all TV recording, weather, and streaming
video available through the web interace and it all seems to be working
now. Granted there is a lot more to full backend Mythtv setup but it was
looking pretty good. Dan has put in two policy updates which should be
out pretty soon.

I'm not done, but I also ran a quick test of squirrelmail with dovecot
for off site email access and that appears to be working. Squirrelmail
is all PHP.