Strange Mailman/Sendmail Audit messages in Fedora-10?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 10 00:56:47 UTC 2009

Paul,

Quoting Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>:

>> [snip]
>> > Do your milters exec other programs? There are a couple of sockets
>>
>> I don't think so, but I don't know.  I'm using clamav-milter,
>> spamass-milter, and milter-sender.  I'm pretty sure that the
>> latter doesn't fork/exec.  I don't know about clamav or spamass.
>
> spamass-milter forks and execs sendmail to deliver spam if you use the
> "-b" option - that's how I discovered the problem.

Thanks.  But I'm not using the -b option.  It's run with:

  -p /path/to/sock -P /path/to/pid -m -r 5 -i ...

> The audit log entries you posted suggest that mailman inherited a
> socket descriptor from sendmail.

I believe that..  Yet it doesn't look like it actually stopped anything
from happening..  The mail seemed to flow okay.  But it would be
nice to fix this.   I don't like getting audit warnings.  Maybe sendmail
is leaking fds as you suggest?   Should I file a bug with fedora
about this?

[snip]
>> Okay, how would I do that?
>
> You'll need to create a local policy module. I'd do it this way:

[instructions snipped]

Thanks, Paul.  I'll consider doing this.

Is there any easy way to figure out what's connected to the sockets
that it's complaining about?   I certainly can't find anything via
lsof or netstat -a.   Most likely because the sockets get closed
before I see the audit message and try to track it down.

> Cheers, Paul.

And to you!  Thanks.

-derek