selinux issue

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Tue Feb 10 20:45:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 02:58:38PM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> It is very rare that any app would need execstack, apps having this
> privledge are potentially subject to buffer overflow attack.
>
> http://people.redhat.com/~drepper/selinux-mem.html
>
> First thing to try is see if the execstack flag is set on the library,
> if it is you can remove it and see if the app works.\
>
> Query
>
> # execstack -q /etc/httpd/modules/vcapache.so

[root at localhost targeted]# execstack -q /etc/httpd/modules/vcapache.so
? /etc/httpd/modules/vcapache.so

> Remove
> # execstack -c  /etc/httpd/modules/vcapache.so
>
> Test,

[root at localhost targeted]# service httpd start
Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 211 of
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 1 of
/etc/httpd/conf.d/valicert.conf: Cannot load
/etc/httpd/modules/vcapache.so into server:
/etc/httpd/modules/vcapache.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc:
Permission denied
                                                           [FAILED]
> If it breaks and you want to put the flag back on.
>
> # execstack -s  /etc/httpd/modules/vcapache.so
>
> If removing the flag does not work for you, you can create custom policy
> to allow vcapache to run
>
> # grep execstack /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M myexecstack
> # semodule -i myexecstack.pp

Will that make it automagically work until the day the server is
scrapped?  Or do I need to put "semodule -i myexecstack.pp" in rc.local
or something?  Or is there a place I can put the myexecstack.pp file
where selinux will read it each time the machine boots?

Thanks for the info!!!