vsftpd using mysql

Maria Iano maria at iano.org
Tue Feb 10 20:19:06 UTC 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> Why does ftpd talk to mysqld?
>>
>> To use a database backend for virtual users I'd guess.
>>
>> http://www.niraj.info/vsftpd-mysql
>>
>> Paul.
> Learn something new every day...
>
> Miroslav, can you add the following snippets to F9 and F10 policy.
>

> ## <desc>
> ## <p>
> ## Allow ftp servers to use connect to mysql database
> ## </p>
> ## </desc>
> gen_tunable(ftpd_connect_db, false)
>
> ## <desc>
> ## <p>

> optional_policy(`
>       tunable_policy(`ftpd_connect_db',`
>               mysql_stream_connect(ftpd_t)
>       ')
> ')

Thank you, this will be very helpful!

I am probably revealing my ignorance here, but...

shouldn't a boolean for ftpd_connect_db allow all three of the things
that were denied?:

   allow ftpd_t mysqld_db_t:dir search;
   allow ftpd_t mysqld_t:unix_stream_socket connectto;
   allow ftpd_t mysqld_var_run_t:sock_file write;

Otherwise I also have to turn on either the allow_ftpd_full_access
boolean or the ftp_home_dir boolean, both of which do more than I need
just to talk to mysql.

I'm sure you have a good reason (too much clutter perhaps) but I am
curious.

Thanks,
Maria