oddity with postfix delivering to homedir

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Feb 17 22:48:43 UTC 2009

On 02/17/2009 07:59 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>
>> Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> Why is postfix creating a homedir?
>>>
>> Because that's where all the virtual users have their mails.
>>

>>>    I have never seen this before.
>>> That is where the problem is, selinux policy does not allow postfix to
>>> create directories under /home (home_root_t), so it is being blocked.
>>>

>> I am sorry, I do not remember from which site was the setup taken. 4
>> years or so since I installed it the first time in Centos 4.2, but if I
>> am not mistaken it's an almost exact replica of the setup suggested by
>> postfixadmin
>>

> So postfix_virtual creates the homedir just to put a file in it and then
>  send  it somewhere else?
>
> If this is standard I can allow it, although it seems pretty strange.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure how standard that is, although I am
pretty sure that delivering to home dirs is not uncommon. Fact is that
(in my case) postfix is the only user on the box and owns all the
directories created below /home. Technically I presume that the whole
structure could be moved anywhere else, but 4 years ago /home seemed a
logical place, even if all users are virtual and defined in mysql.
Basically when doing a deliver, postfix uses maildirmake to create the
top-level directory assigned to any specific user, leading to a tree
like this:
    /home
    /home/specific.user
    /home/specific.user/cur  (cur stands for current)
    /home/specific.user/tmp
    /home/specific.user/new
The structure gets created when the very first message for a user is
received.
As far as I have understood (it always "just worked" so I never did
in-depth digging), messages are first created in /home/specific.user/tmp
and after that copied to the final delivery place i.e.
/home/specific.user/new. Once the user reads the message (via an imap /
pop daemon), the message is transferred to /home/specific.user/cur (or
to other folders, created via the IMAP daemon, but all of them placed
below /home/specific.user)