avc Dead-Letter? Fedora 10

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Jan 8 12:58:21 UTC 2009

Frank Murphy wrote:
> Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>
>> Frank Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> This is the first Fedora I've come across a files called dead-letter.
>>> I don't use sendmail, exim is installed, if relevant.
>>>

>> What sendmail is it running and what is it labeled?
>>

>> ls -lZ PATHTO/sendmail?
>>

> No sendmail.
>
> This deadletter files, was semmingly cause by something called ssmtp
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/ssmtp

ssmtp will leave dead.letter behind if it cannot reach the configured
relay MTA. But not only ssmtp creates dead.letter

> which seems to have installed itself with F10, and decided to replace
> exim, without my consent.

ssmtp installs /usr/sbin/sendmail.ssmtp and ln -s it to
/usr/sbin/sendmail via the standard alternatives system:
postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
/usr/sbin/alternatives  --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta
/usr/sbin/sendmail.ssmtp 30 \
        --slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /usr/bin/mailq.ssmtp \
        --slave /usr/bin/newaliases mta-newaliases
/usr/bin/newaliases.ssmtp \
        --slave /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz mta-mailqman
/usr/share/man/man1/mailq.ssmtp.1.gz \
        --slave /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.1.gz mta-newaliasesman
/usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.ssmtp.1.gz \
        --slave /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz mta-sendmailman
/usr/share/man/man8/ssmtp.8.gz

it never replaces exim unless told to, because exim is preferred by yum.
actually you MUST install ssmtp ON PURPOSE, it never comes as the first
choice and the priorities are chosen as to be less preferred when
compared to sendmail or postfix. However I have no idea how does exim
handle this. sendmail is the default mailer chosen by anaconda, which
gets replaced by exim or postfix if one chooses to not install sendmail.
you have to try really hard to install ssmtp and it's on purpose like that.