Usage of /usr/share/selinux/packages

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 12:10:51 UTC 2009

On 06/02/2009 08:05 AM, Paul Howarth wrote:
> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
>> Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> Yes the idea was to provide a location for third parties to put their PP
>>> files.
>>
>> Hmm... Now, I provide two types of policy packages (targeted and mls).
>> Do you have any guideline to deploy these files?
>>
>> For example, the mod_selinux installs its policy modules at:
>> /usr/share/selinux/targeted/mod_selinux.pp
>> and
>> /usr/share/selinux/mls/mod_selinux.pp

Well not sure what the differences are between the two policies, but
maybe we should consider a mechanism for installing one policy and
having it turn on different componants depending on the type.

Most policy packages would work on all types of policy, so installing in
a policy type specific directory does not make sense for them.

>> If we put them on a single directory, it conflicts due to the name.
>
> I think /usr/share/selinux/packages is a hangover from when packaging
> modules in RPMs was first being considered. The draft guidelines (which
> are old but still relevant) suggest that mod_selinux is doing the right
> thing.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SELinux/PolicyModules
>
> Paul.

Bottom line, is you can install them anywhere you want, I don't care.
We were asked to allocate a directory for third parties to install their
packages if they so choose.  Personally I always thought they should go
into directories owned by the package

/usr/share/mod_selinux/MLS and /usr/share/mod_selinux/targeted for example.