squid denial on F11 for var_run_t

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 15 06:19:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:47:08 +1000
Scott Radvan <sradvan at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>

> As many of you know I am working on a Managing Confined Services guide
> for Fedora.
>
> Having set up a simple squid environment on Fedora 11, with minimal
> and default settings in squid.conf (http_port 3128 as allowed by
> semanage, and a default cache_dir), I was able to create the cache
> directory structure, but I got a denial when actually starting squid
> for the first time (I assume this happens as it attempts to create
> its pid in /var/run):

What's happening here is a denial for *reading* /var/run/squid.pid,
which is of type var_run_t. Now in Fedora 11 this file should be
labelled squid_var_run_t, and that's what it is labelled on two Fedora
11 boxes freshly installed here. It seems there's a labelling problem
on your system. Can you post the output of "ls -lZa /var/run"? Is your
system a fresh install or an upgrade?

Paul.