squid denial on F11 for var_run_t

Scott Radvan sradvan at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 22:31:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:19:39 +0100
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:47:08 +1000
> Scott Radvan <sradvan at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I got a denial when actually starting squid for the first time (I
> > assume this happens as it attempts to create its pid in /var/run):
>
> What's happening here is a denial for *reading* /var/run/squid.pid,
> which is of type var_run_t. Now in Fedora 11 this file should be
> labelled squid_var_run_t, and that's what it is labelled on two Fedora
> 11 boxes freshly installed here. It seems there's a labelling problem
> on your system. Can you post the output of "ls -lZa /var/run"? Is your
> system a fresh install or an upgrade?
>
> Paul.

I'm pretty sure I've figured out what I was doing wrong after another
re-install.

I was previously starting squid directly from /usr/sbin/squid instead
of using 'service squid start'. Starting it directly
from /usr/sbin/squid apparently(?) doesn't initialise squid.pid as
squid_var_run_t, rather it just starts as var_run_t, which is why I got
a denial.

Starting squid via 'service squid start' as I should have been doing
from the start is working fine now. Thanks for your help Paul.

--
Scott Radvan
Content Author, Platform (Installation and Deployment)