Why can not user_t link var_lib_t files?

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Mon May 18 12:48:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 18:44 +0200, Göran Uddeborg wrote:
> Is there some reason user_t is denied to link a file with type
> var_lib_t (among others)?  Or did it just happen that way?  I don't
> see any security advantage.

In a least privilege scheme, the question is not why should it be denied
but rather what legitimate purpose does user_t have in creating hard
links to random files under /var/lib.  Generally none; in your case, you
ought to have a distinct type for those files (and if they are in fact
served via NFS, then I don't see why they would be in var_lib_t unless
you mounted the NFS filesystem with
context=system_u:object_r:var_lib_t).

user_t is supposed to be an unprivileged user account, and creating hard
links to files to which you have no create/write permissions is usually
a sign of something wrong (hence a wide variety of Linux security
patches prohibit link'ing to files you don't own).