The SELinux Documentation Project [Request for topics]

Jason Shaw js44352 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 02:13:42 UTC 2009

Starting a SELinux documentation project is a fantastic idea, and is truly
much needed!

I am two months new to SELinux, and have literally put together an 8 inch
binder of documentation from what I would estimate to be 50-70 different
sources.

Areas of deficiencies that I think could use more documentation include:

1) Current description of all objects and classes supported by SELinux

2) Simple 'getting started' policy module examples to help explain things
such as creating new types/domains and working with domain transitions,
explanation of how testing through a SSH shell can give you different
results than from testing at the console, and networking examples:
restricting access to sockets, denying access to specific network
interfaces, details explaining why one would use macros in policy, simple
MLS getting started examples.

3) Explanation of how SELinux can be different between various Linux distros
(such as how enabling the SELinux strict policy causes RHEL 5.3 not to boot,
how MLS does not support X in Fedora and other distros, why Fedora is the
latest development version, and how there seem to be a lot of older tools
for SELinux that have been superseded by utilities such as semanage.

4) Tutorials showing how to use SLIDE

5) Explanation of when users and roles are used and not used (for example,
how their use can be different between files and processes).

6) Examples of how to test the robustness of SELinux configurations. (for
example, try to access files and processes as root to see permission denied
errors)