fixfiles -F option

Moray Henderson (ICT) Moray.Henderson at ict.om.org
Tue Oct 20 14:14:28 UTC 2009

Daniel wrote:
>On 10/05/2009 10:20 AM, Moray Henderson (ICT) wrote:
>> Hello List.
>>
>> I have an rpm for an selinux policy for a custom CentOS 5.3 distribution.
>When I install it, I use pre/post install scripts to back up the previous
>file contexts and run "fixfiles -C ${FILE_CONTEXT}.pre restore" as in the
>standard selinux-policy-targeted rpm.
>>
>> On an upgrade, old httpd_sys_content_t files are not being updated to
>public_content_rw_t because httpd_sys_content_t is in the
>customizable_types file.
>>
>> According to the fixfiles man page, -F should "Force reset of context to
>match file_context for customizable files", but when I added it, it made
>no difference.  I had a look at the fixfiles script, and indeed it looks
>as if -F doesn't work with -C.  Is that correct, or did I miss something?
>>
>> Is there a recommended way to do that?
>>

>> Moray.
>> "To err is human.  To purr, feline"
>>

>Fix fixfiles and send a patch.  :^(

Sorry for delay - I was at a training course, then recovering from the cold I caught at the training course...

I am working on fixing the fixfiles script, but it looks more complicated than I thought, as I'm also trying to bring the usage info and man page into line with how the script actually behaves.

As far as I can see, the "-o outputfile" option has never worked: it just adds the name of the output file to the restorecon or setfiles commands without the -o option to say that it's an output option.  In addition, it won't work at all with the verify command because that uses its own -o option.

I would therefore vote for removing -o from fixfiles altogether, but if you really want it there and working, I'll see what I can do.  Let me know what you think.

In addition to fixfiles, I have also documented the -p option to both restorecon and setfiles, and brought their usage info and man pages into line.