too many sealerts, most have been reported, and still see denials

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 20:46:55 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear fellow selinux experts,
>
> I am running rawhide on three machines one recently installed via old xfce spin, the new ones (F12-Alpha isos, dvd and livecd's) don't work because of bugs :(, I see lots of selinux denials, some deal with wine, wineserver, ..., windows applications that I need to use at school with my students.  I see firefox stack, and I see others that have been reported.  At the beginning there were only two or three erros, but when I started running the windows based programs I got the messages.  I am thinking that it is not becoming fun anymore when I have to report those errors/bugs and they are reported back with CLOSED Repeated bug or fixed in selinux-policy, and I still see them again even though I have updated the machine[after I saw there there were indeed updates, because of a confusion with rawhide reports, broken deps was first and I thougnt there were no updates :(  ]
>
> I don't know but I am getting a little bit upset at this situation, I tried to get a repository suggested by another member of the selinux-list to see if it would help me, but it is for x86_64 and not x86.  It failed to work and I disabled it.  I am seeing why many folks are disabling selinux, is there any reason as to why there are many changes taking place that *it is not worth filing bugs reports* because they will be CLOSED (NOT A BUG) or already a (DUPLICATE BUG).
>
> I appreciate the help that many users on this list have provided through many situations, but this is not getting any easier and my feeling is that if the trend continues Fedora 12 will not play nice to many users because selinux gets in the way of their computing :(,
>
> Thanks for any suggestions, advice and/or consolating words.
>
> I hope that things come back to normal a bit and sorry for venting out my frustrations.   I had been trouble free since a good while but now it is becoming a pain, just starting up and I see the selinux star at the bottom of the panel, and I click on it and *many times I could not file bug reports*, when I did *they were DUPLICATE, or CLOSED, or fixed in selinux-policy-?????*  Only to apply updates and start again and I see the bugs again :(, and have like 50 sealerts many of them related :(
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

Not exactly sure whats happening. keep in mind
if your using a development versions of fedora,
then you will run into issues.(if your on stable then
you should be fine).

As for the avc's being generated, tough to say
As of now I'm running the latest policy, with a custom
built system(LFS).
One thing for sure, is if  I move to a newer system
there will be issues with gnome and the latest refpolicy
due to the heavy development with refpolicy, and gnome.

Have you tried using a different policy other than what fedora has?

Justin P. Mattock