Regarding the graphical boot and not showing kernel-messages.

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Fri Aug 1 10:58:12 UTC 2003

tor 2003-07-31 klockan 18.59 skrev Alan Cox:
> > boot the system, i found the system still printing out kernel-messages.
> > The thing is that while installing the system i got some pictures
> > showing up in the installer about (from memory, not sure about spelling
> > or if its 100% as it was written in the image) "Who understood those
> > kernel message anyway?".
> > But, the kernel is still printing messages. Is it not only the
> > init-process not printing messages and thats not the kernel is it?
>
> Indeed. Its actually quite easy to hide the kernel messages by default
> and keep a blank screen, its a bit trickier to drop in a logo (as it is
> in text mode).

Adding a graphical system to the kernel is out of the question, or?
Like, adding X to the kernel that is. Maybe not X, but som sort of
graphical system that can init the video and show graphics?
This would maybe depend on a rewrite of the drivers for the cards, i do
not know that much about these things. But has it been rejected as an
idé?

> Its also important that people can get to the messages on
> something like a boot up hang so they can report them

How about turning them off by default and having the bootloader print
"Starting Linux.." and let the kernel print nothing while doing the
things it does and then start X as you do? For people having problems
and wanting to report the problem you could have them add "console=.."
or something so they see the debugging information?

Adding the "console=/dev/null" to the kernel did work for me nicely, but
grub messes it up by printing out debug-information which for me is
meaningless information.
I wanted to try to make the boot look nice but knowing grub-information
is not my definition of nice boot :)

I can understand the need of printing errors but printing a huge amount
of information when everything is ok seems a bit to much technical.

If normal users find it to hard to make grub add a command to the kernel
then its grubs problem and not yours :) Well, grubs problems is our
problems.. but i hope you understand my point.