REALLY SLICK SCREENSAVERS

Joe joe at tmsusa.com
Mon Aug 11 02:41:17 UTC 2003

Robert L Cochran wrote:

>I long ago forgot the specifics of Nvidia's instructions for getting
>their proprietary drivers to work. I can't remember if the drivers have
>to be compiled right into bzImage, or if they can be treated as loadable
>modules. I only did it the one time. When my first kernel update rolled
>around and I couldn't get video output all of a sudden, I realized that
>I had to recompile the kernel again to include the drivers.

Nah, that's FUD -

    nvidia-installer --update

does the trick, and in 30 seconds or so you're good, if you just answer
the questions.

>Now I'm a lot smarter. I stay with ATI. No special work needed, as
>another man once remarked. And hey I love my Really Slick Screensavers!

It's great that we have the choice - I prefer nvidia cards at present,
as they are trying a lot harder to win our business. I really tried to
do it the gnu way, but nvidia just blows away the competition, and I
couldn't see hurting myself to keep away from nvidia drivers - whether
they are GPL'd or not, they are by far the best video drivers available
for linux.

If ATI cards work for you that's great - but my last experience was a
bit of a disaster, and I hear it's a minefield trying to get the
specific models that will actually support hardware accelerated 3D under
linux, and run without stability problems.

Joe