Severn Beta2

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Mon Aug 18 19:31:47 UTC 2003

Noah wrote:
> Well, this is true, I meant something more along the lines of "I wish
> Redhat and Ximian would work together to ease upgrades"

This problem is going to get far worse....before it gets better.
Think of Ximian as just another 3rd party repo like freshrpms or fedora
and you'll see what I mean. The long term solution is not a matter of
how red hat and ximian communicate...but how ALL the packagers
targetting rhl communicate. Setting down usable guidelines and policies
as to how repos for add-ons and enhancements to the "base" rhl distros
are constructed needs to be worked out so they they ALL interact as
seamlessly as possible...especially when upgrading the base distro. XD2
i guess is special because its SO invasive. I would imagine having XD2
on yer system would complicate using any of the other 3rd party repos
like freshrpms and fedora as well as upgrading the base.  But I would
think upgrading the base with just fedora and freshrpm packages
installed can make the upgrade process less than ideal. Someone clever
needs to work out the logic of how to do a base upgrade when you have 3
or 4 layers of 3rd party applications.

Maybe there is a need for specific packaging guidelines that 3rd party
packages must meet so upgrading will work smoothly, not that i have any
clue as to what that should be. If this is going to move towards the
community project ideal..the community is going to have to set a
standard and hold 3rd party repo/package builders to that
standards..ximian included.

-jef"fears the day when there are 100+ overlapping 3rd party yum repos
for rhl"spaleta