Stock kernels

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Wed Aug 20 01:47:29 UTC 2003

I can compile the kernel and I am currently running a custom one (The
default one is not too good for playing music, xmms was skipping all the
time), however, I was looking to make the task simpler(Don't we all like
simpler stuff). The problem is I really like to use rpm, and I had a few
problems making these rpms. rpmbuild -ba *.spec, make rpm and all were
not working, Until I discovered that there was some module, which I
promptly removed, which would not compile, some NEC,Compaq thingy, some
sim710.c or something which woul stall the whole process, the only fix I
could get to use was to remove compilation for that module. I think I
posted before I found the solution.

However, having made the kernel rpm, I found it does not automatically
make the initrd*** file, and therefore is the rpm procedure is still
falling short. I would have expected this to be part of the procedure,
and hence I could not boot. Luckily, i had my old kernels and I booted
to those to make the file. I mean, on redhat systems, mkinitrd s there,
so that is why I thought it would be good if redhat could provide custom
scripts for compiling the stock kernels because it could really be
difficult for the kernel.org guys to try to take into account the
idiosyncracies of each distro out there, hance the reason make rpm was
broken on the 2.4.21 kernel I had.

Maybe not even on the cd's, but just on some part of redhat.com, or
rhl.redhat.com, where the kernel.src.rpm would be, with the spec files
and a couple of patches which can be applied.