Stock kernels

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 09:34:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Jack Aboutboul wrote:

>>> True frustration arrived when I found that 'make rpm' behaves as badly
>>> when run against the Severn kernel-source rpm as it does using a
>>> kernel.org tarball. Fewer "deprecated" warnings, but still.....
>>
>> I'll download it and run it through rpm as described above.
>>
>And thus began Mike Harris' kernel hacking days!
>
>Seriously though, it's never been a problem to download the kernel
>.src.rpm and just build the rpm. Why all the fuss? make rpm works in
>2.4 cant speak for anything >

To be honest, I have no idea what the fuss is about.  Kernels can
be compiled either from raw source (patched or not) or by using
rpm to create patched kernels, which is evidenced by Red Hat
Linux coming with kernel packages in RPM format.

Anyone who can't do one or the other, shouldn't be compiling
their own kernel anyway really.