Minimal Install Option

Mark Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Wed Aug 20 21:47:49 UTC 2003

rhl-beta-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

>         I don't know if this was ever discussed within RH and/or on the list,
> but I was thinking maybe it would be fruitful to add a minimal
> installation option, a la freebsd, into anaconda/the setup system. The
> benefits of a minimal install option are great and would enable those
> experimenting with RH systems to have more flexibility in their system
> configuration.  Those playing with SELinux and other security
> configurations would have the option of not having 300 services (I'm
> exaggerating) starting up at boot, and a trim installation overall.
> This obviously isn't something for this beta or maybe even the next one
> but maybe looking towards RHL 11 or 12.

I'd absolutely love to see something like this.  I take the minimalist
approach to system administration where if it's not on the system, it's
not something that can be used against you.  As a result, I usually
spend a good portion of time removing a lot of the packages that RH
installs with their "Server" install.

Have Fun, Suffer and Survive, or Get Lost in the Net!

Mark Hoover
mahoover at ispaceonline.org