i386 kernel

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Fri Aug 1 16:19:34 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:35:42AM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>  Probably quite late to bring this up, but can anybody explain to me
> why there is no i386 kernel available on the installation cd's since
> 8.0?

We removed it because of lack of testing; there was no point in
using up CD space and (someday, see below) update bandwidth on
something that really hasn't been a development target, is
generally significantly smaller than our listed minimum requirements,
etc.

> And if this kernel version is considered obsolete (ie no support
> for machines below i586) then why are updated i386 kernels still
> released? That seems a little inconsistent.

It's because we're using the same source base for updates to products
that did ship i386 kernels, and so for the updates we need to do the
supersets as long as those releases are being maintained.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/