updates

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 1 22:39:01 UTC 2003

My experience is, anytime 2-4 weeks after the release of a beta, there
are updates available for it through RHN. These can come to almost 500
Mb worth of updates, which is nearly a full size 700 Mb CD. Then a while
later a second beta (that means a whole new set of iso's to burn) might
be released, and then another set of updates through RHN, again massive
in size. Then an nth public beta (more iso's), with the update cycle
repeating. That has been the pattern for the last two betas I've done.

There is a published timetable for Severn, which I believe is something
new. You can consult that to get a sense of when to expect updates and a
new set of iso images.

As to entitlements, I've always felt that beta testers ought to get a
free double entitlement to RHN just for the beta, and for just the beta
period. This includes testers who already have paid RHN subscriptions. I
don't want to use my paid-for entitlements for the beta. I would rather
reserve those for my "production" machines. I guess this is RHN's way of
getting people to use their own cash to pay for part of the costs of the
beta.

Bob Cochran