updates

Michael Young betatest at gnucode.kicks-ass.net
Sat Aug 2 15:43:14 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 08:23, William Hooper wrote:

> >From what I've seen, beta's rarely have updates in RHN, because betas are
> not meant for production systems.  Towards the end of the last beta many
> people were complaining about a Sendmail bug not being fixed in the beta.
> Mike Harris gave his take on it here:
>
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/phoebe-list/2003-March/msg00140.html
>
> I would suggest not wasting an entitlement on a beta machine.  Just
> because you register it doesn't mean you need to entitle it.  If you are
> using the GUI, the applet will alert you to any updates that might come
> along.

What I can't stress enough is the fact updates for the RHEL beta are
already in RHN. A beta is a beta, be it RHEL or RHL. So if RH is going
to release updates for one beta on RHN, why can't they do it for the
other beta as well?

As a home user, I don't really have any "production systems." I could
care less if I blow them up or not. I am stuck administering windows at
work, so, I like coming home and playing with my linux machines. Kind of
a hobby you might say.

I have 2 basic entitlements (not demo, I paid money) for my 2 home
machines. AFAIK, basic entitlements are targeted at the home user. So,
if I run a beta on 1 of my 2 systems, an entitlement is automatically
being wasted.

Everyone seems to be saying I can't use the tools I "purchased" if I
want to run the betas. So, if I don't want to throw away my money, don't
beta test. That attitude does not make me feel very welcome in the
development community.

Doesn't that contradict what the RHLP is trying to achieve, community
participation? Just my $0.10... :|

--
Michael Young <betatest at gnucode.kicks-ass.net>