NTP: ntpdate: Server dropped: strata too high

James Olin Oden joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us
Sat Aug 2 18:23:47 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

> Hello Felipe,
>
> > The server should be synched, since upon starting "ntpd", the "ntpdate"
> > command is invoked and the time is synched.
>
>  ntpd has to sync itself with its peers. The fact that the system clock
> is synced by ntpdate doesn't matter in that respect.

Just so you know, Felipe, this can take as long as 5 minutes.  I don't
understand the protocol enough to give you anything more deterministic
than that.  What I believe its doing in this time is trying to determine
how much delay it can expect from the network in order to adjust any
values it gets from the upstream server for this (and it probably is
looking at things like latency internal to the server its on also).

So basically you just have to give it a little time, and eventually
it will get synced up.  What the nptdate does is at least give it a
sane starting point so that the sync can occur, and won't take
nearly as long.

Cheers...james