laptop got hot, no fans! (acpi tools to check fans/temp/battery?)

Mr. Adam ALLEN adam at dynamicinteraction.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 21:52:30 UTC 2003

pre-severn the laptop (Dell Lattitude L400) would use apm- and I could
use the apm utility on the command line to check the battery status.

Does severn have any command line utilities to show the battery status,
(hopefully temperature) as well. I had a quick look at
http://grahame.angrygoats.net/acpi.shtml but that doesn't work straight
off with severn. The reason for wanting these tools....

A little concerned (rebuilding the 2.6 test2 kernel and the fan never
came on- this is running the severn default kernel). The machine decided
to power itself off after half an hour.
I want to make sure that severns kernel isn't stopping the fan coming
on. Let the laptop cool down and tried rebuiliding the kernel again-
same thing, no fans after 20 minutes and the laptop getting hot enough
to burn. I've fallen back to appending acpi=off for now.

I've kept the output of dmidecode and acpidmp if this would offer any
help in tracking down the problem.

--
Regards,
Adam Allen.