Letting Ordinary Users Write To Disk Key

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Sun Aug 3 14:01:47 UTC 2003

Robert L Cochran wrote, somewhere in the digest:

>I have a 128 Mb disk key plugged into my test machine. Severn recognizes
>it, and I've formatted and mounted the thing as '/mnt/dkey'. How can I
>give an ordinary user (namely, me) write access to it?

i would suggest these fstab options:
noauto,owner

and then i would suggest making sure /etc/security/console.perms
is setup to understand the /dev/ and /mnt/ listings for yer Diskkey.

The owner option is pretty slick, it tries to restrict access to devices
and files based on which is user is physically logged into the console.
Sure its overkill for a single user system...but its still slick. I try
to use this for all my removable media fstab listings.

-jef"the real question is...when will rhl support a boot 'floppy' mode
for something like a usb keydrive"spaleta