Upgrade crashes on kdebase-3.1.2-13 install

Terry R Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Sun Aug 3 22:07:35 UTC 2003

Scenario:

I am attempting to upgrade from RedHat 9 --> 9.0.93. I have 3 good CDs
(verified, and also used on a prior install).  The upgrade consistently
fails when trying to upgrade kdebase-3.1.2-13. This occurs about 30
seconds after installing disk #2.

The upgrade aborts with a message of possible media failure, possible
disk space problem and possible hardware problem. I believe all three of
these "possibilities" to be incorrect. The media has been verified and
used on a prior install. Just to be sure, I re-burned a copy of disk #2.
Space... well, I have about 2.4 gig free when I start the install.
However, I evern removed several meg of files, and the "crash" still
occurs at the same place. Hardware...I have nothing else happening to
indicate this is hardware.

I am puzzled as to why it's trying to do an upgrade of kdebase. I'm
"pretty sure" I never installed KDE to begin with...I'm not a KDE user.
I also did an rpm query of installed packages, and found NO references
to kdebase.

At this point, I have a "partial" install of 9.0.93. In fact, my system
thinks it is now a 9.0.93  system. But, I know that quite a few packages
were never installed after the abort.

Thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I can consistently duplicate
this failure on this particular machine...but not sure if anyone else
has seen this.

Thanks...Terry

--
Terry R Linhardt <linhardt at swbell.net>