USB 2.0 IDE drives - dropped to shell when in fstab ... rc.local OK

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 01:18:49 UTC 2003

I bought an USB Interface Book drive to use a 2.5" IDE drive from my
older laptop in. The model of the book drive is ST-2211B2.
My computer is an HP ze4315us.

I tried to add the drive to the fstab file and upon reboot, it dropped
me to the "Enter root password, to fix problem" shell.

After thinking that the problem was on my end, I fscked the three
partitions aqnd no problem was found. I even tried other measures to see
if the entries would stop dropping me to the init 1 shell.

I then removed the entries and then rebooted. Everything came up
alright. Since they worked after the OS loaded and I was logged on. I
added the entries to the rc.local file and they worked with that method.

My main question is regarding where the entries should be entered? Are
there any plans to load the USB drivers before the /etc/ftab is read?

I would like USB recognized, sda device recognized, then fstab read. If
no plans, the files to change the order in would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

--
One small step for man, one giant stumble for mankind.