USB 2.0 IDE drives -Alright w/o filecheck - Same drive w/ another motherboard

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 22:36:40 UTC 2003

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:

>> fsck checks files in /etc/fstab. It runs before usb-storage
>> is loaded -> can't find the drive/filesystem -> error.
>>
>> In short, don't set it to be checked on boot.
>>
>> Bill

Everything works with the settings changed, to 0 0 in /etc/fstab

Another confusing thing happened with the drive though, on another
machine. This CPU can boot from USB-HDD through BIOS. It is a half-sized
PCISA3716E2V computer board. (Juki, I believe, with version 1.4 0f the BIOS)

THe old laptop drive would boot through USB-HDD until it got to the part
that it wanted to locate the root partition. At that time, it halted,
with a kernel panic.

When I change the BIOS to boot from a standard IDE controller buss and
tried to detect another similar, but with MS operating system in the
Book drive, it was not detected by the fully updated RH9 version of the
operating system.

Severn was not loaded on the hard disk. It wouldn't load on the Toshiba
490CDT (now W98 w/ a new owner)

Now to my main question. Is Severn updated to deal with USB-HDD drives?
(compared to RH9)

Do you think that the BIOS Boot treats this unit as hdd-0 and shrike
does not have the USB loaded, then detects the SCSI or IDE drive?

My main reason for asking is that these CPU boards will soon be seeing
RHL in the future, as a commercial OS. It would be great to have RHL
(Whatever version) b able to use the USB-HDD feature to boot from the
USB drive.

Thanks,

Jim