lokkit (WAS: How do I shut down this ports)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Thu Aug 7 00:15:26 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 22:54, Louis Garcia wrote:
> 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> 6000/tcp   open        X11
>
> Should these be open be default?

If they are open or not is irrelevant if you are truly running a
"default" configuration.

By "default" on severn and below you get a "medium" firewall.

On whatever-name-is-next and above, by default you get an "enabled"
firewall.

Old:

medium/high/disabled

New:

enabled/disabled

What's the difference?

I wrote a patch that implements a stateful ruleset instead of the
previous non-stateful ruleset. This was accepted and is now in rawhide.

The end result:

1. Better security than the previous "high".
2. No breakage of *anything* initiated by the host.

Details:

By default your "enabled" firewall enables others to ping you, ALL other
unsolicited traffic to your box is rejected.

If your box initiates a outbound connection (ping,SSH,NFS,NIS,RPC,X11),
*inbound* packets that are part of, and related to, those connections
are allowed.

Using lokkit or redhat-config-securitylevel you can of course define
"trusted" interfaces and/or allowed *inbound* protocols
(SSH,TELNET,etc). This way you can selectively allow others to connect
to your box.

Nifty eh? This is made possible by the stateful rules.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs