NVIDIA direct rendering problem solved!

Guo Yang gxy3139 at njit.edu
Thu Aug 7 16:45:08 UTC 2003

Or at least it was solved here in my machine. Wish you all who have this
problem good luck too!:)

I've been annoyed by this message for a long time after I installed the NVIDIA
driver:
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

But I never tried to solve it because it didn't bother my daily use until today
I disovered the crash of my IDL (Interactive Data Language) was caused by this. So
I decided to try to track it down. After searching google in vain for an hour, I
decided to look at my system carefully and see if there were any problems. Then I
found this strange links in /usr/lib/tls/i686/libGL.os.1 which pointed to
/usr/X11/lib/tls/i686/libGL.so.1.2. But this libGL.so.1.2 was from the old Mesa
package from XFree86. I thought this was the problem and deleted the i686 directory
and ran ldconfig again. Then I tried glxinfo and glxgears. Bingo, the message was
gone and the glxinfo shows the direct rendreing: Yes. And most important my IDL
doesn't crash anymore!

I am using severn with the kernel upgraded to 2.6.0-0.test2.1.30. And I installed
NVidia pakage before I upgraded the kernel. I am not sure if NVidia missed the
link in the i686 directory and caused this problem.

Guo