aRTs and XMMS problems anyone???

Florin Andrei florin at sgi.com
Fri Aug 8 23:02:45 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 06:04, Botoaca Andrei wrote:
> If i play xmms (through arts) music during high processor load, xmms stops
> playing 4good, arts processor usage blows up to 50%, and even after I stop
> any other compilations/thingies, arts usage still is up to 50%, machine
> moves slowly, and XMMS is still dead. Even after I crash xmms arts is dead,
> no sound goes through it, or if it does, it does for a second or two, and
> then same result.
> If I play with XMMS through OSS or alsa, everything is ok, even on VERY HIGH
> processor load.

If your other applications don't _specifically_ require a sound daemon
(whether that be arts or another) then you're better off without it.
Especially ALSA makes it really easy and efficient to access sound
hardware resources without a sound daemon. If that model works for you,
you're encouraged to not use the daemon.

OTOH, there are situations when a sound daemon is a must, such as when
doing complex multimedia work, with JACK and stuff like that. But that's
another story.

--
Florin Andrei

"Never send a human to do a machine's job." - Agent Smith