Realplayer One (was - Re: Real Player 8 works ... Surprised... Other Multimedia

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sun Aug 10 18:15:34 UTC 2003

On August 10, 2003 07:00 am, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 09:19:45PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > > With the reduction of multimedia, within RHL. It seems that the other
> > > avenues to obtain multimedia applications are filling the void.
> >
> > Believe it or not, but Red Hat employees are just as happy
> > with freshrpms and fedora as you are.  We may not be able
> > to ship these programs, but we still download and use them.
>
>   Yep, there is quite a few things we would love to ship, that we use
> on a daily basis but just can't usually because of patent or other
> legal reasons. I think a lot of us use valgrind for example, it's not
> just multimedia.
>
> Daniel

I don't understand why people still insist on using Real Player 8 when
RealOne (aka Real Player 9) works so well with linux (*including*
Red Hat Severn.

FYI:
1) I install plugger, then (... and this is VERY important) I edit
the /etc/pluggerrc file to include the lsc extension in the realaudio
section, _making sure that the browser is NOT loaded_.

2) Next I install Realplayer One (RealPlayer9-9.0.7.151-4.i386.rpm)
which is available from http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/

3) As root (naturally) I install the rpm, and the next time I load the
browser (Mozilla 1.4), RealPlayer loads as an external application.

Some sample sites are:
BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/default.stm

SWR3 (southwestern Germany)
http://www.swr3.de/startpage/index.html

KYS FM (Caracas, Venezuela)
http://www.kysfm.com/

WRN (The Netherlands)
http://www.rnw.nl/distrib/realaudio/ram/live/dutch_live.ram

Noticario MONITOR (Mexico City, Mexico)
http://www.monitor.com.mx/

Omega Stereo (Panama City, Panama)
http://www.omegastereo.com/index2.html

The news WRT Realaudio and linux is very promising:
"RealNetworks on Wednesday will announce plans
to release the source
code of its audio and video player to run on the Linux operating
system..."
http://linuxtoday.com/developer/2003080602126OSSWDV

Now *if only* there were similar good news WRT MP3 and MPEG
and linux!!!

Elton ;-)