iptables & masquerading...

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 10 21:10:22 UTC 2003

From: "Greg Sanders" <greg at elcoronel.com>
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, jdow wrote:
>
> > This is another place Greg screwed up. You cannot mix ipchains and
> > iptables. ipt_MASQUERADE is apparently a part of the (pathetic) ipchains
> > emulation under iptables.
> >
> > "rpm -e ipchains" is always a worthwhile exercise on modern stups. Then
> > ONLY the valid iptables modules are left.
> >

> Actually, I didn't screw this up...
>
> [root at lanfest1 usr]# rpm -e ipchains
> error: package ipchains is not installed
>
> The problem is with the default module build shipping with the beta.  And
> since I don't have the source rpms (dialup here), I'm not in a position to
> rebuild them.

Greg, I thought that was you trying to install ipt_MASQUERADE. Unless
it changed with the most recent kernels that is not one of the modules
involved. Of course, your "screwup" might have been entirely excusable
if it was an automated firewall setup tool that tried to add that module.
And given how tenaciously Red Hat hung on with ipchains I'd not want to
bet that even at this date the last vistages of ipchains are gone.

{^_-}