Realplayer One (was - Re: Real Player 8 works ... Surprised... Other Multimedia

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sun Aug 10 22:16:34 UTC 2003

On August 10, 2003 03:06 pm, Patrick <severn at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 20:15, Elton Woo wrote:
> > I don't understand why people still insist on using Real Player 8 when
> > RealOne (aka Real Player 9) works so well with linux (*including*
> > Red Hat Severn.
>
> Hi Elton,
>
> Just tried it out for the fun of it and it segfaults big time on my
> Severn box. The little intro sound is cut off at an early stage. Maybe
> it's shabby nvidia nforce2 sound support, dunno. It's an Asus A7N8X
> Deluxe mobo. Clearly it doesn't work well for everybody :)

Would your sound support be *built-into* the motherboard?
AFAIK, I've seen much discussion on this and the shrike list with
problems arising from this. FWIW, I'm running a cheapo
Ensoniq 64 PCI sound card. Not the latest and greatest, but I get
sound with CDs, DVD's, RealPlayer, etc...

My preference for Realplayer isn't so much that it's the "most
recent", but because I like the lighter, cleaner interface. My only
gripe is that I cannot (read: haven't figured out / found out how
to) run it as an internal plugin for the browser. Other than that,
I'm quite happy, and as per my original post hearing that
Real Networks is now going open source, can only mean things
will get better for us penguins!

Elton ;-)