Real Player 8 works ... Surprised... Other Multimedia

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 11 01:10:16 UTC 2003

Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2003 23:52, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Since I have a completely new installation. I thought that I'd try Real
>>player and found version 8. I installed it, expecting it to not work.
>>
>>I didn't have to add LD_ASSUME_KERNEL whatever.
>

> Just wait.  ;-)    I'm using the RealOne alpha under RHL 9 and Severn w/o
> issues and no special parms but I've heard it can work better w/
> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.

My other two machines quit working for Real Audio 8. Both systems were
upgraded to version 9. Also, both systems were i686. This system is
running on an Athlon.

I upgraded to Real PLayer 9 to overcome the problem. But when I searched
for Real Player For Linux, only realplayer 8 camer back. I tried it
again out of curiousity and to also get the plugin capabilities that
carry over from Real Player 8 to Real player 9. (Launching an external
player from the browser, without a lot of effort)

>>My question is mainly asking about why the prefix to launch the program
>>is no longer needed. Is there some list to reference certain apps before
>>nptl? Or is the Severn kernel "unbroke"?
>

> I think LD_ASSUME_KERNEL along w/ en_US instead of UTF became two very
> popular suggestions in the past few years. I'm not ever sure the kernels
> were ~more~ to blame than the developers of the third-party bits BTW.

I'm just glad that works again. At least in my circumstance.

I thought that I'd pass it on, since it was busted on two other
computers and this is the first Severn version that I tried the player
on. My other version of Severn, using a computer with an 815 chipset and
3com pci card has too many problems to try out an external player on.

One problem is with getting an Ethernet connection on boot and the other
  is related to logging into RHN, through the browser (no keyboard input
goes into the screen name or password fields.)

The thernet problem was said to be fixed within Rawhide.
(redhat-config-network crashed, when editing or adding a new device).

>>Also, I'm trying out certain DVD playing applications from freshrpms.
>>For the Xine pleyer, I got a problem with Severn having a newer version
>

> I thought there was a freshrpms mailing list but I could be mistaken. Try
> fedora.us and their Severn repository.

Ther probably is. But I didn't try them out until now. I was new to
needing their avalable programs, until now. I didn't have a DVD player.

It's great that the organizations are available and are making a better
distro. also that all sides are working together, rather than what you
see on the Monopolized OS. (browsers, multimedia, ntfs ....)

i'll comment about xine on their list also. But it doesn't hrt to let it
be known on this list.

Jim

--
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!