was there an advertised ETA for the next beta?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 21:49:40 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:07:21PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, M A Young wrote:
>
> > A timetable was on the rhl site http://rhl.redhat.com/ before they closed
> > it to rework it. Note that it has been rumoured on the list that this
> > timetable may slip by a couple of weeks to allow gnome 2.4 to be
> > incorporated.
>
> If you have other cool ideas on what should be included,
> don't hesitate to let us know ;)

 You asked for it :-)

 I would like to add xmlsec ...
  Web site is at:
    http://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/

 This library is an extension to libxml2 core implementing the
W3C XML Digital Signature, Encryption and Canonical representation
standards.
 It does not implement cryptography algorithms directly but reuses
the ones found in OpenSSL and other libraries like GnuTLS and NSS
if those are found at compile time.
 I don't know any open source project using those at the moment, but
it is in my opinion an important part of the XML platform that we can
provide to business oriented users.
  I think the library is already in production use from the feedback
I got from Aleksey Sanin (main developper) and looking at their list
archive. The library is known to be the fastest public implementation
of those algorithms, the code looks good, and is compliant to the spec.
The licence is MIT, like libxml2 and libxslt.

  Rpm packages are part of the source distribution, once commented out
the part about the NSS package in the spec file, they built cleanly on
my RH9 laptop and produced the following packages:
    -rw-rw-r--    1 veillard www        574061 Aug  3 14:06 /u/veillard/rpms/RPMS/i386/xmlsec1-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm
    -rw-rw-r--    1 veillard www        609486 Aug  3 14:06 /u/veillard/rpms/RPMS/i386/xmlsec1-devel-1.0.4-1.i386.rpm
    -rw-rw-r--    1 veillard www       1048090 Aug  3 14:06 /u/veillard/rpms/SRPMS/xmlsec1-1.0.4-1.src.rpm

  Alesey code is usually portable and without maintainance troubles
(I integrated part of his work directly on libxml2), so I'm confident
that there shouldn't be any maintainance or portability problem with
this package.

Daniel