APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 12 19:32:16 UTC 2003

On August 12, 2003 12:59 pm, Jesse Keating <hosting at j2solutions.net> wrote:

>  Giving a secretary root on a box is just
> insane.  Corporate images are developed, deployed and only updated when
> there is a true business need.  Allowing users to install software
> willy nilly just causes huge headaches, leads to virus infection and
> system instability.  While there is some argument for having a nice gui
> frontend to installing software, it doesn't quite click in the real
> corporate environment.

True. And though I would still vote for a more user friendly interface,
I'm sure that most linux users would NOT want linux to become
"Microsoft Windows", where, if something goes wrong, the user
hasn't a clue in hell what to do, and winds up reinstalling and rebooting
his/her system a nauseam.

I strongly feel that is is WORTH the EFFORT to learn linux, and learn
the underpinnings, so that one knows what to do in case of hardware
failure, or the (more frequent) human failure...

Elton ;-)