APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Tue Aug 12 21:36:32 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 14:33, Stephan Schutter wrote:
> Well, I disagree... for the 90% there is RHL 9.0 etc. and for 10%
> there is the enterprise solution. In an enterprise allmost all the
> cost is project related and management related; perhaps less than 10%
> is related to hardwre and software. A couple of k's is nothing to a
> multi milion dollar project. I work for a large corp. and there are
> no projects smaller than several milion dollars. What does matter in
> my environment is the promises (read support) that comes with the
> vendor of the software.

The problem is, the company I work for caters to these smaller
companies, and provides systems w/ Linux pre-installed and all the
support they need to get up and running.  It's becoming increasingly
harder and harder to provide this service based on Red Hat Linux.  As
Red Hat strips more and more server quality stuff out of the distro
(tunable kernel VM, ipvs, etc...) and as their business take a stance
that makes it impossible to OEM the RHL product it seems to me that
unless you are a multimillion dollar business, you don't matter to RH,
likewise if you don't sell products to multimillion dollar businesses
then you as a provider don't matter to RH.  It's getting to the point
that as a company, we'll have to switch to some lower quality product
to be able to have the relationship necessary to OEM their product and
it just stinks.
</rant>

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE