APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Wed Aug 13 17:13:42 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 10:01, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> For some reason, I think you answered your own rant. You feel like
> you are having to make a choice of whether to make a lower quality
> product (w/o Red Hat) for small businesses to make ends meet. I doubt
> very much that Red Hat is in any different position. From what I can
> infer they have aimed for a higher quality product for people who
> will pay for it, and a community product to try and meet the needs of
> people who wont pay for it.

A community project is one thing, but when what goes into the community
project is dictated by marketing to ensure that the community project
won't compete in any way with the "higher quality product" there seems
to be problems.  Requests for Opteron support, ipvs support and other
such things in the community project get denied because these types of
things are an "enterprise" level technology, and thus you _have_ to use
RHEL in order to get them.  It seems that more and more server software
will be removed from RHLP in order to "not compete" with RHEL, making
RHLP a nonviable platform for smaller businesses who require server
technology, but can't afford the AS or even ES premium.  $370~ per
system, per year is a very heafty price tag for a small business,
especially when one of the "selling points" of Linux was that of lower
costs....

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net