APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 18:26:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> A community project is one thing, but when what goes into the community
> project is dictated by marketing to ensure that the community project
> won't compete in any way with the "higher quality product" there seems
> to be problems.  Requests for Opteron support, ipvs support and other
> such things in the community project get denied because these types of
> things are an "enterprise" level technology,

That is simply not true.  Some of these features are not in
Red Hat's repository because we haven't gotten the time to
integrate them.

Nobody is stopping you from integrating these features
yourself.  People can point their up2date at your apt/yum
repository and use the packages you are making available.

Lets face it, Red Hat is a company with finite resources
and the wishlist of all Linux users together is close to
infinite [1].  What is needed isn't Red Hat doubling the
amount of work done, but users getting the opportunity to
do part of the work themselves, together.

This model has worked very well for the development of
open source programs, so I (personally) expect it to also
work for a linux distribution.  The success of freshrpms
and fedora is certainly suggesting that the model works...

Rik van Riel
[0] The more things software does "almost right", the larger
    the wishlist grows.  Eg. when software does 10 things
    "almost right" and gets fixed to do all of them right,
    you end up with a piece of software that does 100 things
    "almost right" and a wish list that is 10 times as big
    as it used to be.  Because of this I tend to view any
    kind of software wishlist as infinite ;)
--
This is my personal opinion, though it should be everyones. ;)