RH Decisions (was Re: APT, Yum and Red Carpet)

Bruce A. Locke blocke at shivan.org
Thu Aug 14 07:10:43 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 02:45, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> Le jeu 14/08/2003 à 07:44, Bruce A. Locke a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 00:55, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > [...]
> > Basically, in my view, it creates anarchy where I don't want to be
> > exposed to such anarchy.
>
> I you don't want anarchy, don't use XD2 or freshrpms, etc...

Ok.  XD2 is a bad example because it replaces functionality that is
provided by Red Hat (GNOME).  Freshrpms, etc are not bad examples
because they provide functionality that Red Hat doesn't provide or can't
provide (Multimedia apps, etc).

> Two facts :
> - RedHat resource is finite.
> - You and/or RedHat can force everybody to work with RedHat.

I understand that.  Red Hat, Inc. of course will choose what it decides
to focus on.  I'm just concerned about Red Hat, Inc. only worrying about
defining a "core" and pushing functionality out into a "community" where
multiple (fragmented) competing repositories exist.  Thus end users
become reliant on them and gets bit by "RPM dependency hell".

I'm personally hoping Red Hat "gives its blessing" to one project like
Fedora and encourages the development of one central repository of
"non-core" software.  I'd also hope a couple Red Hat full time employees
with extensive experience in distribution maintenance could give some
leadership/mentorship/experience to this project and encourage needed
"integration", testing, etc.

Thus providing a stable "core", a well maintained and extensive
"external repository".  Maintainers of niche interest repositories,
upstreams who maintain their own packages, etc could then be encouraged
to keep their packages fully "compatible" with the core and the
"sanctioned" repository.

Of course other approaches could work just as well or better but thats
the only situation I could think of that might work.  But what do I
know. :)

> I was worry with RHEL. With RHLP redhat take the right direction to
> reassure the community.
> And i trust Redhat and contributors to bring one of the best
> distribution.
> It's also in the interest of RedHat.

I'm a Red Hat user at both work and home and I'm hoping for the best. :)

Bruce A. Locke
blocke at shivan.org