new up2date available (with apt/yum repo support)

Féliciano Matias feliciano.matias at free.fr
Thu Aug 14 15:53:09 UTC 2003

Le mer 13/08/2003 à 05:14, Adrian Likins a écrit :
> New up2date packages for testing available at:
> http://people.redhat.com/~alikins/up2date/severn/
>
> Most notable new feature is support for 3rd party
> apt and yum repositories. See the included
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file for info
> on how to configure them.
>
> It's definately still got some rough edges,
> but hopefully will at least work most of
> the time ;->
>
> Most of the rest of the changes are just
> multilib related and should be mostly
> transparent.

up2date version : 3.9.6

A little /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources :
dir base /var/RH/9.0.93/os/i386
dir rawhide /var/RH/rawhide/os/i386

No "up2date default" line.

I remove old files in /var/spool/up2date .

The "Channels" window show "redhat-linux-severn-i386-9.0.93". I uncheck
this channel.

This take more than 4 minutes to have the "Available Package Update"
window and no progress bar.

Cancel the action and change /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to use yum
repository :
yum base /var/RH/9.0.93/yum/os/i386
yum rawhide /var/RH/rawhide/yum/os/i386

New try, errors :
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/gui.py", line 1281, in onChannelsPageNext
    self.pList.run()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/packageList.py", line 80, in run
    self.progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rhnPackageInfo.py", line 152, in availablePackageList
    progressCallback = progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpcServer.py", line 114, in doCall
    ret = apply(method, args, kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoDirector.py", line 25, in listPackages
    return self.handlers[channel['type']].listPackages(channel, msgCallback, progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpmSource.py", line 226, in listPackages
    msgCallback, progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumRepo.py", line 211, in listPackages
    channelTimeStamp = time.strptime(oldVersion,"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
ValueError: format mismatch
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/gui.py", line 1346, in onSkippedPagePrepare
    self.__preparePackageList()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/gui.py", line 1234, in __preparePackageList
    self.pList.run()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/packageList.py", line 80, in run
    self.progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rhnPackageInfo.py", line 152, in availablePackageList
    progressCallback = progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpcServer.py", line 114, in doCall
    ret = apply(method, args, kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoDirector.py", line 25, in listPackages
    return self.handlers[channel['type']].listPackages(channel, msgCallback, progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpmSource.py", line 226, in listPackages
    msgCallback, progressCallback)
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumRepo.py", line 211, in listPackages
    channelTimeStamp = time.strptime(oldVersion,"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
ValueError: format mismatch

Clean /var/spool/up2date.
New try. Really faster, 15 seconds.

The size in the "Available Package Update" is 0.

Update my system. This take about 10 minutes for 53 packages (atlhon
1600xp, 256 Mo). This seems very long since there is no progress bar.

Now some ideas.

Permit to have multiple entries for the same repository like yum :
man yum.conf :
       baseurl
              must be a url to the directory where the yum repository’s ’head-
              ers’ directory lives.  Can be an http://, ftp:// or file:// url.
              You can specify multiple urls in one baseurl statement. The best
              way to do this is like this:
              [serverid]
              name=Some name for this server
              baseurl=url://server1/path/to/repository/
                      url://server2/path/to/repository/
                      url://server3/path/to/repository/

Put /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources in a directory. If possible in a
"neutral" directory. For example /etc/rpm-repositories.d/

If yum/apt/synaptic are able to parse file in /etc/rpm-repositories.d/
the user have the choice of the tool without editing multiple files.

This can be useful for third party like freshrpms/fedora. They don't
need to provide a specific yum package already supply with RHLP.

Perhaps freshrpms can create freshrpms-release-9.0.93 package with :
/etc/rpm-repositories.d/freshrpms
And some over useful informations :
/usr/share/doc/freshrpms-9.0.93/README MANIFESTO GPG-KEY

This could also be used to update mirrors list when doing regular
updates.

What bug/RFE i should put in bugzilla ?

--

Féliciano Matias <feliciano.matias at free.fr>